Vocab & Idioms

Become over the following vocabulary and expressions with your tutor. Read the give-and-take/expression and definition out loud, and your tutor will go over anything you do non sympathise. Practice creating a judgement or two to brand sure you know how to use the word/expression properly.

Vocabulary/ Expressions

All-inclusive (adj) – your food, drinks, and hotel room are all included in the toll
Sightseeing (north) – the activity of visiting places of interest in a particular location
Resort (due north) – a place where people can continue vacations to relax or for an activity they enjoy
Self-guided tour (n) – when you go visit a place of involvement without an practiced
Guided tour (due north) – an organized group shown around a identify of interest by an expert
Bout Guide (n) – an skilful who takes tourists, usually in a group, to a place of interest
Long weekend (n) – an extended weekend including Friday and/or Monday
Get away (phrasal verb) – go on vacation/holiday or a brusque suspension abroad from home
Set off (phrasal verb) – start a journey or trip
Travel light (idiom) – to bring a few things with yous on a trip

Part one Questions

Here are possible questions that might come up during the test. Go over them with your tutor.

Topic

  • Why are vacations/holidays of import to you?
  • Where do you like to keep vacation/holiday?
  • What do you usually exercise on vacation/holiday?
  • What do yous similar to do when you lot have a day off from work?

Role 2&iii Questions

Here are possible questions that might come up up during the test. Become over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part ii Questions

  • Describe a tourist attraction you once visited. You should say:
    • When you visited information technology
    • Where is it situated
    • Who you went with
    • and say what yous liked most about information technology.

Part iii Questions

  • Is it better to travel alone or with a tour group?
  • What makes a tourist attraction popular?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of going on a vacation/holiday during low season?

Sample B

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a recent vacation/vacation you went on. You should say:
    • where you went
    • when you went there
    • who was with you
    • and explain why you chose that particular identify for a holiday/holiday.

Part three Questions

  • What are some of the benefits of going away on a holiday/vacation?
  • Why is it not adept for holidays to be likewise long?
  • Why do some people like going to big cities on vacation/holiday?

Sample C

Office two Questions

  • Describe a vacation/holiday you want to keep in the future. Y'all should say:
    • where you want to become
    • when you want to become
    • who you want to go with
    • and explain why yous want to continue this vacation/holiday.

Role iii Questions

  • Why exercise some people prefer to travel within their own country and not abroad?
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking vacations/holidays online?
  • Practice y'all think people are prepared for emergencies when they go on vacation/holiday?

Sample Answers

Hither are some sample answers. Become over them with your tutor.

Part 1 Questions

  • Why are vacations/holidays important to you?
    • They are the times that I can get away from the stress of my work and re-energize myself. There'southward nothing like a week off from my hectic work schedule to exercise annihilation I want to do. I just wish I had more holiday time.
  • Where practise you like to continue holiday/holiday?
    • Well, I like to travel to various destinations. One, in detail, is the mountains about three hours north of my hometown. It'southward a place where I tin take in the beautiful landscapes and the tranquillity of nature and silence.
  • What do y'all usually do on holiday/vacation?
    • If I have a long weekend, I like to drive to the shore where I  walk the beach in the early mornings and evenings to find seashells. If it'due south a longer vacation, I prefer to fly to a far away destination and become sightseeing and learn well-nigh other cultures.
  • What do you similar to do when you lot have a day off from work?
    • Sometimes I like to only stay at home and relax. Other times I adopt to go out with my friends for lunch or dinner and catch up.

Office two&3 Answers

Here are some sample answers. Go over them with your tutor.

Sample A

Part 2 Questions

  • Describe a tourist attraction you one time visited. You should say:
    • when you visited information technology
    • where is information technology situated
    • who you went with
    • and say what you liked near virtually it.

Just the other day, I was on vacation in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia for a long weekend. I had the opportunity to come across the imperial Twin Towers or Petronas Towers. They are two identical skyscrapers side by side in the Kuala Lumpur City Center.

I needed to leave Thailand to renew my tourist visa, so my Thai girlfriend and I decided to go to Kuala Lumpur. Nosotros bought a travel package from AirAsiaGo, which is an online travel website. The package consisted of airfare and hotel accommodations. I wish I had a choice for an all inclusive package, just the hotel doesn't offering that type of package.

The night before our flying we packed our numberless. She had a large bank check in bag and I had a small-scale carry on because I travel light.

After a restless night'due south slumber, the twenty-four hours finally arrived for united states of america to get out. I was elated because I needed some R&R, or in words residual and relaxation, after working so much the prior month.

When we arrived in Kuala Lumpur, we headed directly to our hotel to check in. Later nosotros checked in, we took the subway to the location of the Twin Towers. Oh, what a sight to see when we first caught a glimpse of the towering skyscrapers! I was amazed at the architecture and pure elegance in front of me.

We walked around the premises taking in the stunning view of the buildings. The surrounding area was full of other tourists and of course pesky locals who were trying to sell souvenirs and take photos of people with the towers for a high cost. Anywhere I go on vacation I hate these annoying people.

Overall, the time we spent at the Twin Towers was enjoyable and the sight of the gigantic buildings was highly impressionable. I heard at night the towers are lit up and the view is spectacular. I would recommend this place to all travelers fifty-fifty though it's a tourist trap.


Part three Questions

  • Is it better to travel alone or with a tour group?
    • Everybody is different and they have their own preferences. Equally far every bit I'm concerned, either mode, it has its pros and cons and one mode is not ameliorate than the other. Some people say that traveling alone is unsafe and that they would never do information technology. I, on the other hand, disagree because traveling in a pocket-size or large group can be dangerous too. Yes, I agree it can exist more dangerous traveling solo sometimes, only 1 has to take precautions like non walking dark streets alone at night, hitching a ride with a stranger, or staying in high-risk neighborhoods. The same goes when traveling in a larger grouping.
  • What makes a tourist attraction popular?
    • I never considered this question before. I need some time to think a little……umm. I believe it has to do with what the place offers. For case, accept Machu Picchu in Peru. Thousands of people all over the world travel there because of its historical background of beingness the "Lost Metropolis of the Incas". In addition, it has breathtaking views and ancient ruins. At present take the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Thousands of people pilgrimage in that location every yr for religious reasons. I'one thousand sure there are other motives that brand a place a tourist trap, but these were the just ones I could think of.
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of going on a holiday/holiday during depression season?
    • Correct off the bat, It'southward definitely advantageous to go on vacation during the non-tiptop season because the costs for airplane tickets, accommodations, and tour packages are less expensive. Even so, the conditions may wreck havoc on your travel plans. I remember going to the beach 1 year during the low flavour and it rained almost every day. Another downside is that the local businesses might not exist operating due to a lot fewer vacationers. Speaking for myself, I prefer to become on holiday during depression flavour to avoid the crowds and loftier prices. I can find activities to practise even when businesses are closed for the season.

Sample B

Office ii Questions

  • Describe a contempo vacation/holiday you went on. You should say:
    • where you went
    • when you went at that place
    • who was with you
    • and explain why you chose that particular place for a vacation/holiday.

I'm going to talk about a 4-day grouping tour I took with my Thai girlfriend and approximately 20 of her co-workers and family to Taipei Taiwan 2 months ago.

Kickoff of all, I'm not a big fan of large group trips because y'all are not free to do what you want. Y'all accept to stick to the itinerary and do what is pre-planned with the bout guide. Even though it was a group trip, I still had a good fourth dimension and saw another country I never been to.

During the tour, we traveled around Taiwan on a bout motorbus and visited several tourist destinations like Moon Lake, Chiang Kai-shek Memorial, and Taipei 101. There were some other places such as a market and Buddhist temple, only I don't remember the names. Before I forget to tell y'all, Taipei 101 is the tallest skyscraper in Taiwan.

Out of all the places we visited, Moon Lake was the best considering the lake view is surprisingly beautiful and the landscape with the rolling mountains in the background is mesmerizing. Additionally, nosotros took a boat ride to the other side of the lake to climb a long set of stairs to an sometime temple.

The highlight of the trip was a chance to meet upward with an online English educatee of mine. We met at a Starbucks Cafe and spent an hour talking and learning more than about each other face to confront. What an amazing feeling to run across one of your online students in person, specially when you lot are from different ends of the world.

If I have the hazard to get back to Taiwan, I volition in a heartbeat. However, the adjacent time will be a holiday that I plan and proceed by myself or with my girlfriend. This way I can practice what I desire and non have to worry about adhering to the strict group bout itinerary.


Part 3 Questions

  • What are some of the benefits of going away on a vacation/holiday?
    • First and foremost, it's the best mode to relieve stress from work. I can't recall of a better manner to lower work-related stress. Next, it helps to get away from the rat race of your daily routine. I demand a change of scenery sometimes. Lastly, scientific research has proven that balance and relaxation help lower heart disease, nervous breakdowns, and loftier blood pressure.
  • Why is information technology non good for holidays to exist too long?
    • The biggest reason I tin come up up with is information technology'due south too expensive. Take for instance my vacation last twelvemonth. I went to Costa rica for an extended vacation and, In the finish, my expenses for circular-trip airfare, the resort, food, and other living expenses totaled around $3,000. I was lucky that I could afford it at the fourth dimension. Likewise, I'd say that a prolonged getaway may become boring for some people. I heard some of my friends say that they become bored while on holiday.
  • Why exercise some people like going to big cities on vacation/holiday?
    • Equally for me, I'd rather go along a retreat to an isolated place somewhere off the browbeaten path such as a mount lodge overlooking a crystal articulate lake and a breathtaking view of light-green mountains. As for others, they need the hustle and bustle of the urban center because information technology offers a glamorous nightlife filled with bright lights and lots of people. I practice have to agree that going to the city is ok once in awhile because I can go sightseeing to many historical places.

Sample C

Part two Questions

  • Describe a vacation/holiday y'all want to keep in the future. You lot should say:
    • where you lot want to go
    • when y'all want to go
    • who yous desire to get with
    • and explicate why you want to go on this holiday/vacation

Wow, in that location are and then many places I desire to travel to before I die. Right now at the summit of my list is Iceland. I know, it'due south like chill cold in that location, simply I heard people say it's an awesome destination for its rugged snowfall capped mountains and flickering starry night skies.

Without a doubt, I want to go on vacation at that place for at least ii weeks with some of my adventurous friends who share the honey of the outdoors as me. Actually, I don't think 2 weeks is enough, although staying longer would exist also expensive for me. I heard from other people who traveled there that information technology's not a cheap place to visit.

While we are at that place I think we will have some guided tours to the countryside to see the picturesque landscapes and maybe even some of the wild fauna. I don't remember information technology'southward wise to go traveling to the frozen tundra without an expert local guide.

When we are in the capital letter city of Reykjavík, we will take some self-guided tours to run into some of the historical buildings and eat at some of the local restaurants to sample some of the traditional cuisines.

I don't have the entire trip planned still, especially what we volition see and do. It's all in my imagination based on what other people told me about their vacation in that location, looking at photos on the net, and reading well-nigh it on Tripadvisor.

I think afterwards my Aunt and Uncle told me about their vacation in Iceland, I have this itch to get, especially to run into the eye-catching Northern Lights. I'm sure I can bear the frigid climate. I will stay warm in the hotel by the fireside and sip hot chocolate or coffee all mean solar day. I tin't wait to go!


Part 3 Questions

  • Why practice some people prefer to travel inside their own country and non abroad?
    • I suspect that they fright what they volition encounter in some other country, or maybe they don't have plenty money to travel. I'll say for sure the sometime. I guess they are insecure when it comes to other cultures and people not like them. Whatever the reason, they are missing out on a world filled with adventurous places to see and wonderful people to run into. I hope i twenty-four hour period they can set off and come across another country to see what they are missing.
  • What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking vacations/holidays online?
    • Hmmm, I'm non really sure about this question? I demand a little time to get together my thoughts…..Well, being that there are many travel apps bachelor, I'd say that's 1 benefit. As a result, more and more than travelers book their vacations online. I too, book my travel using the internet and I wouldn't do information technology any other manner because I control and manage my decisions. So, if I option an atrocious hotel, I accept but me to arraign. Alternatively, I believe some vacationers like the personal affect travel agents provide them. Too, they don't accept to stress out making the arrangements.
  • Practise you recall people are prepared for emergencies when they go on vacation/vacation?
    • I for i don't think I'm ready if an accident would occur while vacationing. I retrieve most people don't fifty-fifty recall about it themselves when they are out of town. I would say though, everybody should have a plan in case an unfortunate event would occur. Things like travel insurance, emergency contacts and numbers, and perchance even life insurance should exist included in the plan.

Wrap-upwardly

Go over any new expressions or vocabulary that you learned today.

cambly-practice-button2